Under general supervision, manages cashiering, student financial services, and centralized accounts receivable systems for the university. Manages and coordinates activities of workers engaged in keeping complete books of tuition fees and other receipts for the institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the overall operations of student financial services, billing and receivables, and cashiering functions of the university.
- Provides direction and leadership in financial management, fiscal policies review and changes; conducts special studies as required; ensures compliance with university, state, and federal regulations and standard accounting procedures.
- Provides periodic reports of receipts and technical information to the university community and to external funding agencies.
- Recommends and participates in the development of university policies and procedures; may serve on university planning and policy-making committees.
- Encourages customer-oriented staff interaction with students, parents, and administrators.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors, participates in auditing projects, or provides information and access to accounting records as required.
- Directs the implementation, administration, and recordkeeping of the Direct Lending Program.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of unit staff.
- Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Represents the University to various institutional divisions as well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, students and their parents, and/or the general public.
- Plans, develops, and implements strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for the organization.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Masters’s degree; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards.
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodology, and practices.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of clientele and/or media sources.
- Ability to write reports containing technical information.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to plan, assess, and evaluate programs.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, and administer complex recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of university and/or public auditing policies, standards, and procedures.
- Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.